Sunday, October 24, 2010

The dreaded College essays. . .

For the past year and a half, I have attended Salt Lake Community College. Although it has had its ups and down like any wild ride of life, it is time to look at a real University since SLCC is only a two year  college.

I would like to be a Professor in English Literature. Yes, I said Professor, not teacher. I want to teach college students.

Looking at Universities, where do I want to go. . . . BYU, is the place that feels right to me. . . or BYU-I in that case too.

In their transfer applications they ask for two essays. I already have one down, "Why do I want to transfer to a BYU establishment?" It is the second question that is getting to me.

It's personal, and asks a lot for only 200 words.

Please tell me what you think. Help me out please.

Peace and Love to all.

B - Describe a setback you have encountered in your life. Explain how you have handled the situation and what you have learned from it.



Early in life, I wore glasses and braces simultaneously. Math, verbal expression, spelling and handwriting were subjects I had difficulty in. I was teased, made fun of and left out of games and programs at school, church and play. As a 4th grader who had dark thoughts of ending her life, my life seemed pointless. I felt alone, unloved and a failure at everything I did; even at night under the covers I couldn't hide from  the nightmare.

As I began the fifth grade with contacts and a new set of teeth. Entering my first lunch of the year, I observed a girl sitting alone. She remained alone for days. By the fifth day, I gathered my sack lunch and bravely sat down beside her, my new-found friend.

Understanding the need for a friend, I overcame my own demon of low self-esteem  by redeeming someone else’s. Remembering to see the world through another persons eyes has helped me become a better person. I look out for the underdog, because I know what it is like to be one. 

2 comments:

  1. Instead of listing all the flaws you had earlier in your life, I would just say you were considered an outcast, and struggled with depression. Remember, they asked for only one setback.

    I suggest putting more detail into how you overcame such a tough time in your life. Think of this essay as a job application. Talk yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @aaronisdabomb: dude, she said it could only be 200 words long, she can't really be descriptive.
    And depression is differently for everyone, Instead of just being boring and say "I was depressed" she gave details of what caused her to be that way. I think its really sad that a 4th grader and if you really think about it, a ten year old thought about taking her own life. Maybe she is still depressed and hasn't completely gotten over it. Maybe that's why she didn't go into full detail of how she over came it.


    Laurel, I do like how you gave small details of how you came over it by gaining some esteem for yourself because you got contacts and no more braces. When you said that "Understanding the need for a friend, I overcame my own demon of low self-esteem by redeeming someone else’s. Remembering to see the world through another persons eyes has helped me become a better person. I look out for the underdog, because I know what it is like to be one. " made me cry, because that is what you have always done. Your applying to BYU and you are restating what LDS sunday schools have always taught: Love one another and be like Christ. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete