Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chapters 3 and 4. . .

Chapters three and four of Emma And Peter. . . Come on . . . tell me what you think. 

Businesses Blues . . . Peter     
Papers, staplers, laptop, clients, work . . . I’m a lawyer for the firm, Marks & Mathison, I’ve won every case I’ve every had, all 57 of them, I’m on three more cases and I’ve only been going at this job for a year and a half . . .
Yes, I hate my job.
As I was about to bash my head against the table for the fifth time this morning, Heather popped her head in to my office door,
“Peter, James wants to see you in his office . . . I think it’s another case”
Heather was a lovely blonde with green eyes and sectary to James Marks. Every man in this firm has been trying to get their hands on her too; I am one of those lucky few that got a taste of her. I took her to the best Italian restaurant in town, sadly she is allergic to garlic, onions, and mushrooms so she really couldn’t eat anything anyway.  And took her to the opera, which she hated. But I should of known; any woman who pins a bun to her head so tight with not one hair out of place is a picky woman.
“Peter! How are you? How’s the Peterson case going?’
“Fantastic James.”
James office was . . . godly, I hated it. Rich woods, almost 20 objects made of pure gold. Hundreds of books, great view of the city and central park, there was only one thing missing, a picture of a trophy wife and kids. Where in heavens was the family picture?
“Now Peter, do you know why I called you in?”
“Another case?” I already knew the answer.
“Yes, but this could change you.”
Every case could change me, I could have a friend of the person I put away and drive by shoot me on my way to my lonely apartment. Or I’ll mess with the mafia and have a horse’s head in my bed!
“Peter, have you been reading the newspaper”
When on earth do I have time to read the newspaper ?
“Yes”?
“Have you heard about the Trenton case?”
Oh you have got to be kidding me, the Trenton case, seriously?!  The Trenton case was about this man named Austin Trenton, he’s 31 and lives all alone,  A little girl on his street went missing about three weeks ago. While police went asking and snooping around, they found things of hers in his town house. He says he has no idea where she is. But me and 99.9 percent of New York believes he’s buried her body in the back yard.
“I want you to defend him Peter.”
Okay, make that 98.9 percent of New York.
“Drop all your other cases and work on this one. If you do this Peter, I’ll promote you.”
 . . . . what am I going to do?

Men, Food, and kittens. . . . Emma
            Have the male species really drop five IQ points? Here I am at the market in gray sweat pants and a black t-shirt and the man at the cashier is checking me out.. . . What the hell?! I’m 24 years old. . . wasn’t the new sexy age 18. . . Look at the girl next me for heaven sakes, at least she is wearing makeup!
“Have a nice day” he said with a crooked smile. . . gag me!
Luckily I wouldn’t have to deal with the dim-witted species of man for much longer, my sister’s  and I’s apartment was just two buildings down, and up two flight of stairs. It wouldn’t be long now. I just have to put my key in the key hole and turn it left  . . .
“MOVE YOUR CAT AWAY FROM THE DOOR!”
Holly, my older sister, loves cats, and she actually owns one,-named Mittens. How originally right?  However this cat is now pregnant and likes to lie down where it is most incovnizant for me, like last week, I made sauce for our noodles and mittens sat right behind me and when I turned to put the sauce in a basin, I stepped on her tail. .. well in short, sauce went all over me and mittens, however she licked herself clean while I still to this day smell of tomatoes and cheese. But today, the stupid cat is in front of the door. Cats and Men should really live together.
“Holly, Move the cat or I will slam it up against the wall!”
“Emma, you are so pathetic, can’t you just wait.”
“Holly dear, if I didn’t have milk and eggs and other things to but in the fridge then I wouldn’t care, but knowing that the chocolate ice cream is melting and now seeping through the bag and all over my arm,  I’m sort of pissed, so move the fat creature away from the door.”
Although I couldn’t see her, I could hear her thumps  of her feet on the wood floor.  Her low and small “umf” as she picked up her stupid fat cat.
“Thank you!” As I rushed through the door to drop everything in the kitchen island and started putting things into the fridge and surrounding cuberids.  And that is when I saw it. Holly, dancing and fluttering around the open room of our kitchen, dinning room, and lazy about which really is our TV. room.
Holly+Dancing= A bad ending for me.
And then it was her high-pitched little squeal, not a bad squeal, more like a Disney princess high-pitched annoyance.
“Oh Emma. . . “
here we go.
“What are you doing tonight?’
Crap! Think of something quick, what’s happing tonight?  I can’t say work, cause I work in the mornings. Alice is in town so I can’t ask for her shift. Oh why don’t I have friends here?
Deep breath, you can do whatever task she is going to ask.
“Nothing.”
Even worse, her smile just got huge.
“Awesome! Cause me and Adam are going on a date and he has a brother in town and we can’t just leave him in the apartment all by himself.”
I know where this is already going. . . “Sure Hal, I’ll go as long as he’s paying for my dinner.”
“Oh goody! I already said you would, but I’m glad you’ll actually do it! He works for the IRS as an accountant”
You have got to be kidding me,  “Gggrrreeeaatt. . . .. “
“We are leaving in an hour, so you should get out of those man rags your wearing. And gosh you smell. . . go take a shower.
 Today is going to be part of my 10 worst days of my life. . . I think it’s going to rank 7 on that list.


So there you have it. . . . For the two of you that were reading it. . . what do you think? is it lame and cheesy as I am? 

Peace! 

1 comment:

  1. I think it is a wonderful story Laurel and it will make a great novel. I really enjoy how it is being written in first person as their thoughts. I really like being able to know what the character is thinking about what is going on around them and then saying something completely different! Makes me laugh every time! Keep up the great work Laurel!

    ReplyDelete